Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Day 26 - Plank for as long as you can

Just read this:
Day 26
When I signed up for this challenge I expected it to be just that - a challenge. And I had no illusions about which days would be the most challenging, and the planking day obviously was one of them. Or so I idly thought as I glanced at the challenges. "Planking will be a challenge."


This is me planking...


So, it went like this:

I got up, got dressed and put on my trainers. My trusty Reeboks that have been all over Europe, the UK and Egypt. And I got down on the mat in my bedroom. And assumed the position. And pushed. And... nothing happened. I could not lift my body as much as a mm off the floor. All I got for my efforts was a t-shirt covered in cat hair and fluff.

Sigh.

So I now have a new personal challenge: to be able to plank for 1 minute.

How am I going to achieve this?

Well I'm going to do pushups, squats and fire hydrants every second day. Then once a week I'm going to try the plank. And I will keep trying until I get it right.


I'm aiming for level 1.
Then we'll look at level 2.
Level 3? I don't think so.

People like this should be shot...
Nah. I'm kidding. I know I'll never get to this level, but I'll be happy to be able to keep my torso off the floor for a minute.

As my Dad aged he became very stooped, to the point where he couldn't lift his head up. I know this comes from poor core strength, and I really don't want that fate for myself, so I'm determined to get this right.


So I'd like to express my gratitude to Elan and Eric for this challenge and showing me how to improve my quality of life.










No comments:

Post a Comment