Sunday, April 24, 2016

Day 21 - Try a new recipe

Here is the task in full:
Day 21

I love trying new recipes! I troll the internet looking for recipes that are Paleo friendly. I use a lot of almond flour for these recipes, and have started making my own because the Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour is very expensive. I like my flour better too, it isn't as fine, so my baked goods have a sort of nutty texture which I like. I have many new recipes that I have been wanting to try - including a Paleo macaroon recipe.

Sadly, today being Wednesday and a long day of work for me, I don't have time to try out the macaroon recipe because they have to bake for an hour, and I have to be on my way to young Ahmed pretty sharpish. But here is the recipe for the Paleo macaroons anyway:

Elana's Pantry

Paleo Coconut Macaroons
Serves: 8

I n g re d i e n t s
2 large egg whites
¼ cup honey
¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
2 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes

I n s t r u c t i o n s
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites and honey with a fork
2. Briefly whisk in salt, then stir in coconut flakes
3. Place bowl in fridge to chill for ½ hour
4. Fill a 2 tablespoon scoop with batter, so it is heaping full
5. Using your hand, firmly pack batter into scoop so it is level
6. Release batter onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet
7. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes, until macaroons are golden brown
8. Cool for 1 hour and serve




So I went to the next best thing - a mug cake. I love mug cakes, and I have a few tried and tested versions that I make when I need a lift, but the challenge was to try a NEW recipe, so I had to find a NEW mug cake recipe.

I was restricted just a tad by the fact that I'm out of almond flour, so I had to find a recipe that used coconut flour. And here it is:

Goodness Green
Coconut flour & chocolate mug cake
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons coconut milk
sprinkle of chocolate chips (optional) I opted to add these
Method:
1.     Place the dry ingredients to a microwave proof mug & combine well.
2.    Add the wet ingredients taking care to incorporate fully for a smooth mixture.
3.    Microwave on full power for 1 1/2 minutes. Take out & enjoy from the mug or empty into a bowl & start a mug cake party of your own.

4.    Nuts, peanut butter, ice cream, cashew cream all welcome.
I know it doesn't look like much in this mug, but it was delicious.
I enjoyed the many recipes that came up on the Sleek Geek group, but one that I am definitely going to try is the sweet potato pancakes recipe.
2-Ingredient Sweet Potato Pancakes

Ingredients:
Makes 1 serving

1 roasted sweet potato
2 eggs
a dash of cinnamon (optional)
a dash of allspice (optional)

Directions
1. Remove the flesh from a cooled, roasted sweet potato, and mash. Mix in two eggs. Add spices, if desired. The consistency should look like the image below.

2. Heat a griddle pan over medium-high heat. Coat it with cooking spray, oil, or butter of your choice. I used Kerrygold butter. Spoon out 1/4 cup of  batter onto the griddle. Let cook 5 to 7 minutes.

This is the tricky part! These pancakes do not bubble like typical pancakes, so you have to really rely on the timer. Second, it helps to use two spatulas to flip, so that they stay together. Once you’ve flipped, cook for another 3-5 minutes, remove, and serve.


The main reason I want to try these is that the Sleek who tried the recipe said that they weren't very pancake-like, but would work well as buns for a hamburger - and I want them for that very purpose. I bought sweet potatoes and will definitely be giving this one a try.

I am constantly on the look out for new and tasty recipes that are Paleo and SIBO friendly, so I am regularly trying new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment